Forum

How do you start a short story?  

RSS

dgoore
(@dgoore)
21/02/2017 10:54 pm  

Some people say you should have the entire story written our outlined in basic form first, and then add/refine to get to the final version.

Other people say you can start with a basic idea, a character or situation and see where it goes.

What are your thoughts?

ReplyQuote
hank
 hank
(@hank)
22/02/2017 12:12 am  

My stories always start with a character.  I don't know why they start that way, but they do.  Next I give the character a plot problem.  A big one.  Then I stop developing the story util I can come up with an ending.  Once I have an ending , I develop the characters, plots, scenes, setting and all the other details that go into a story.  If I can't figure out a good ending, I don't bother working on the story details because the story isn't going anyplace.

Works for me.  May not work for other folks.

ReplyQuote
nancytaiani
(@nancytaiani)
24/02/2017 10:24 pm  

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” 
― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland

Sometimes I begin at what I think is the beginning, but later it becomes the middle. I may not have a clear idea for an ending, but I just trust that as I write it will come. It usually does, though it may require a bit of tweaking. 

ReplyQuote
Share: